Thursday, June 10, 2010

Teen Depression: An Interview

Brittany's Story.
*name was changed


“When I was thirteen, I was raped by my neighbor who was a few years older than me. The experience left me in a state of depression. I hated myself and I had no self confidence. I felt guilty, thinking maybe if I hadn’t hung out with him, it wouldn’t have happened. I completely lost respect for myself and started cutting and burning my hands. I finally talked to my mom and people close to me, and I got help. Ever since receiving help, I feel like a new person and have gained more confidence. I still think about the incident every once and a while, but I’ve learned to accept it and move on."
Brittany's experience is typical of a rape victim. Many blame themselves and lose respect for themselves. That kind of violation causes many people to fall into depression, meaning that they lsoe interest in normal activities, are constantly sad, and sometimes even self-harm. Brittany turned to cutting and burning at first, but then realized that she was hurting herself, causing her to talk with her mother and other family members. Support from people in the victim's life can really have an affect on whether they can get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment